Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Finding an article that fit the criteria for this assignment was challanging. I chose the topic of oil drilling and the broader issue of energy as a whole. You would think that finding an opinion written on this since Sunday would be an easy chore, but I found that articles that directly addressed the issue were few and far between. As a matter of fact, my article doesn’t solely address the issue; it also goes into the choice of Sarah Palin and why John McCain chose her. I wanted to find a liberally based argument that argues against drilling and takes what I deem as unreasonable expectations for energy in the future. This article out of the Chicago paper makes some very week arguments that are less than factual. It points out that global warming being caused by humanity is a known fact, when it is clear that global warmings causes are still quite vague and no one knows for sure what is causing it. The article does however make some general statements that are well written and very true. So this article should fit nicely into the assignment because it will allow me to agree on general ideas, but scrutinize the author for his incorrect statements and unfair assessments.
I chose the topic of energy, more specifically the issue of oil drilling, because I think that the answer is so clear, that I don’t understand how people could possibly be against it in almost any form. Don’t get me wrong, I love nature, but I also enjoy being able to drive places. Therefore, there is a balance here. I also have an interest in the subject because my dad works in the oil and gas business for Wachovia and he has lots of factual information on the impacts of drilling on the environment as well as the prices we experience at the pumps.

3 comments:

TeresaP said...

I am also looking for an article with the topic. But I thought I would let you know I looked up Obama's policy on oil drilling and he has the "Use it or Lose it" policy that applies to the land owned off shore that the oil companies either need to drill or forfit their rights.

Brooke said...

Tommy,
I believe that oil drilling and alternative forms of energy is going to be a huge issue in the upcoming election as well . It is going to greatly affect our lives in the future and is a topic we cannot avoid. I am not sure myself what I believe should happen or what a happy medium would be exactly but it will be interesting to see what both candidates come up with. Good luck finding articles for your further research.

Allie Weaver said...

I think that many people are interested in this topic and I can see why. I think this is a great choice for you with your dad being involved in the oil industry and you kind of having some knowledge that other people don't.