Monday, September 22, 2008

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6247479.stm
I chose an article for my argument of definition that looks at the definition of an "American Car Company". Toyota has become a monster in the car industry growing at a rapid rate while the American 3 have slowly lost much of their buisness. This argument by the BBC seems to follow the company line of Toyota by talking about all their plants here in th US and all of the many employees that they have hired here in America. However, they don't mention where the money goes that you pay for that Japanese car with. The majority of the profits from the car go right back over seas to Japan. I for one would much rather see the money that I spend stay in my own country. Ford, GM, and Chrystler were born in the United States and have been an intergral part of our nations history. They are deeply rooted true American companies. On the other hand, are Toyota or Nissan or Honda deserving of the title American Car, I tend to think that they are not. And while arguments of quality might have been valid in the past, they have little to no truth to them with today's American cars and trucks. I have driven the same Ford truck since I started driving, and it has been awesome. 150, 000 hard miles and still going strong. Although I am probably part of the minority in our country in relation to this subject, I will forever believe that buying American cars is what is best for America.

No comments: