Sunday, October 5, 2008

Comedic try

I have never felt that I am much of a comedian, especially when having to write it down or draw a picture, so this assignment is definitely the most difficult out of the three. I decided that my best chance at being funny was going to be to attempt to make a comic. I decided rather than showing off my less than spectacular drawing ability, I would use existing images and put them together on a backround. Another obvious problem was trying to make a joke out of the usually unfunny topic of oil drilling. The only idea I could come up with was to use the animals of ANWR and take a Dr. Doolittle approach by allowing them to talk. So my comic is not just trying to be funny, but to also express one of the points that I made of the minimal enviornmental impacts that new drilling would have. Then I decided to put Palin in and try to be funny by letting the animals talk about her looks. We'll see how the reactions go. . .

8 comments:

Brooke said...

Tommy,
I loved how all of the captions were coming from animals. They were very clever ideas and funny comments. I am not sure what exactly ANWAR is...but I also do not follow the news very closely. Good job overall, maybe consider adding a general title summarizing what is going on.

Michelle J. said...

1. Effective- Very effective and creative idea. I think most people should be able to understand your point with using the animals to promote drilling.
2. Suggestions- Don't change a thing.
3. Response- I loved it, and I think it is very funny that the animals are the ones taking a stand to get the drilling done. Good job!

Courtney J said...

Tommy,

effective- the animals leading the way and the eagle pulling the welcome flag made it really stand out to me

suggestions- I don't necessarily think you need the animals talking about Palin's looks because it's really funny without it

response- really funny and really creative, and though not everyone is familiar with ANWR, the subject of drilling is pretty prominent

Thomas M. said...

I thought it was real funny but I am not quite sure what ANWR is so I wasn't sure how to handle that. Since you are talking about drilling, maybe you could add a tiny oil derrick in the background?

Walt H said...

Funny and very effective. You may want to address the point of drilling in ANWR more.

Hector said...

I thought this was a very clever idea. It was a little hard to understand at first, but after looking at it a bit, it made sence. I suggest that you add something that will help clearify your argument in the drawing.

M. Christine said...

I really liked your cartoon. I thought it was clever and the animals talking about Palin was very funny. The point that you were trying to make was obvious and clear.

TeresaP said...

I like all the animals talking I think it create a much more interesting view on the topic. I think it helps push the point getting it out of the hands of the people.